Friday, April 22, 2011

Why, yes, I do love shopping

“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” --Anne Frank

What did I do today? Went shopping for a cause.

My sister’s birthday is coming up. I usually get her jewelry or clothes from a random store in the mall. I almost did the same thing this year. But I thought to myself, “Stephanie, how can you buy your fabulous older sister something awesome and help the world at the same time?” So I responded by shopping for a cause. I perused many websites, which profits go to something way better than the 6 figure salary of a CEO with a comb-over. Here are my favorites:


World of Good’s mission is to provide a trusted platform where individuals can create positive change through commerce, as part of a global community.
We believe that a growing number of individuals want to understand how the choices they make impact people and the planet. There is an important need for trusted information, and a need for transparency into how and where products are made. Our goal is to provide you with the resources needed to make good choices and to connect with others who share the same passion.”


Global Goods Partners is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering women, alleviating poverty and promoting social justice. We partner with community based organizations in marginalized regions of Asia, Africa, the Americas and the Middle East, creating access to the U.S. market for our partners’ handcrafted products and providing technical assistance to build sustainable livelihoods.”


Nest is a nonprofit organization that empowers female artists and artisans around the world. Using a unique combination of interest-free microfinance loans, mentoring from established designers, as well as a market in which to sell their crafts, Nest helps its loan recipients create successful small businesses. Nest instills pride of ownership, preserves ancient artistic traditions and successfully moves women from poverty to self-sufficiency.”


100% of profits from sales at the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital go to the children and cancer research. I have actually visited St. Jude and it is quite possibly the most magical and inspirational place that I have ever been. Everything and everyone is there to help the children.


I will not reveal which place I purchased something from (for fear of spoiling the surprise for my sister). But it is awesome. Next time you want to buy something, consider buying something from an organization that will make a difference. You can change someone’s life and get something cool at the same time. I see no problems with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment