Wednesday, July 6, 2011

If I could be an edifice, I would be a cathedral.

Salamanca is a fantastic, small university town about 2 hours west of Madrid. We spent about two days exploring Salamanca, which is often called the “golden city” of Spain. Oddly enough, the city did have a certain glow about it. However, the main thing that drew us to this town was the majestic cathedral for which it is famous.



 I straight-up love cathedrals. They are awe-inspiring, architectural wonders. We don’t have anything like them in the United States. In my opinion, skyscrapers look like mere child’s play in comparison.



Cathedrals always give me a sense of calm and peace unlike anything else. So naturally, this is where we spent the majority of our time in Salamanca.



I also taught Molly the term “flying buttress,” which can be seen below. A buttress is essentially a perpendicular wall that supports the main wall. But a flying buttress is one that is only connected at the top. Someone please tell me how people in the 17th century figured out how to construct that. Freakin’ prodigies.



Magnificent, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment