Tuesday, February 8, 2011

insurance like woe

“The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” -- Henry David Thoreau

Insurance companies work on their own time-table. This is something that I have discovered time and time again throughout this car debacle. For example, it took these fools a week following the accident to deem my car “totaled.” I’m not sure why it took them so long to determine this seemingly obvious fact when 3 attractive firefighters, 1 friendly policeman, and 1 concerned (yet, annoyed) father were all able to tell me this within hours.

It took the insurance company yet another week to determine the value of my demolished automobile. At which point I was informed that I was only allowed to have my rental car for 3 more days. Maybe in insurance land they are fully capable of taking off from work in the middle of the day to go buy a car. But in my world, I don’t get paid when I don’t work. Thus, I work whenever I can. Thus, I did not want to take off work to go buy a car. Thus, I needed at least one weekend. Thus, I had to call the insurance people and present my case for needing a mode of transportation to go out and buy said new car... on a weekend.

When I presented these seemingly reasonable facts to the insurance lady, she seemed unfazed. But surely, she didn’t want me to "call her supervisor." The mere mention of her supervisor was enough for her to switch from speaking to me like a cretin to the Dalai Lama. Needless to say, I got to keep the rental car for an extra week.

I have yet to deal with the MedPay side of the insurance, which is covering my medical expenses (i.e. visits to the chiropractor). I’m sure I will be afforded this immense pleasure at some point. Now I know all I have to do is mention the supervisor to be treated like a human being. Splendid.

No comments:

Post a Comment