Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Irony… not the funny kind

“It’s a free ride when you’ve already paid. It’s the good advice that you just didn't take. Who would’ve thought... it figures.” –Alanis Morisette, “Ironic”

Friday was a sad day. I was driving home from work, thinking about what I was going to write in my next blog post. Seriously, I do that sometimes. And I was sitting in a line of traffic, minding my own business. I look in my rearview mirror and BAM! I get pummeled by an excessively large SUV. I was hit so hard that the rear window shattered on me and the trunk region is now where the backseat region should be.

Other than shaking uncontrollably, I considered myself reasonably unharmed. I checked on the passengers in the other car and they were fine as well, despite having their airbags deploy. So I called the police. And called my daddy. I realize that this was not exactly me standing on my own two feet in the car world. BUT… to be fair, it is technically his car and technically his insurance… and I needed a ride. Slash I was not at the peak of my mental sharpness after getting drop-kicked by the world’s most unnecessarily large form of transportation.

Since this unfortunate event was in no way my fault, I wasn’t hyperventilating or anything. But after the adrenaline that comes with impending death wore off, I felt super sore in my neck and back region. [Sidenote: I feel the need to share that my mother’s first response to hearing about this pain was to tell me to go to the chiropractor and her second response was to take me to get a margarita. Both of which were extremely effective suggestions.] So I have to get a rental car, shop for a new car, deal with the (super lively and exciting) insurance companies, and enter the unknown world of chiropractic care.

As you may imagine, this is taking up a lot of my free time. Thus, my topic this month may be changing slightly. I may have to put less focus on cars in general… and more on the car insurance/accident/buying side of things. The fact that I no longer have a car weighed in this decision heavily. But have no fear, if I get all of this taken care of before the end of my month, I will indeed share some of my newfound car-general knowledge with you as well. Luckily, I already attended a Car 101 course last weekend that you will soon be hearing about… get pumped!

So alas, I was riding home from “the scene” (as the insurance people call it) and an Alanis Morisette song from my childhood kept playing in my mind. Stupid irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment