Tuesday, November 2, 2010

intro to blog-hood

“Contentment is, after all, simply refined indolence.” -Thomas C. Haliburton

About me:

My name is Stephanie and I graduated from college in May 2010. I majored in Psychology with little to no intention of going to graduate school (smart, huh?). Thus, my degree is somewhat useless in getting a job in that field. Since then, I have gotten settled in my hometown and acquired a job moderately related to my interests. I’m pretty content.

About my contentment:

Right after walking across the stage and receiving my diploma, there was a high that came over me. I had accomplished something great! Ten minutes later, I was not a happy camper. But let me explain. I’m not really a fan of endings. Like when I read a good book, I read the second half much slower because I don’t want it to end. It’s too hard to find another good book. After college, I knew it would take me a while to find another “book” worth reading… if you catch my drift. And college… it was a darn good book.

To start my adult life like a real winner, I stayed in my pajamas all day for 3 months straight, wondering if there could be a way for me to go back to college forever. But don’t fret; I was also applying for jobs like… well, like it was my job. I daydreamed of ways to stay in that space between legal adulthood (having the legal ability and right to do whatever I want… par-ty!) and actual adulthood (getting a job and being financially independent… gross!). I couldn’t come up with a way to stay in that magical land. If you have any suggestions, lay them on me!

So alas, I am now a productive member of society, holding down a job that I enjoy, but that is not exactly the most intellectually stimulating thing in the world. I find myself longing to be back in a classroom. Not because I weirdly enjoy homework, monotone professors, powerpoint slides and number two pencils, but because I miss the challenge. I miss constantly having my narrow world-view obliterated and questioned. I miss hearing perspectives that I never would have thought of on my own and doubting opinions that I’ve had all my life. And most of all, I miss the immeasurably fulfilling process of learning and growing as a person.

About what you might be thinkin’:

A lot of people would probably call me a “nerd” or perhaps even the “mayor of Lame-town.” But I had A LOT of free time to think during my hiatus from the real world and I decided to embrace my geektastic self. Those of you who are still in school probably think I’m a whack-job. So let me clarify, I sure as heck don’t miss the stressing about deadlines and grades, which comes with traditional schooling. And when you’re in school, the stress often overshadows all the awesome learning stuff that’s going on. But just you wait; you will feel the same way one day.

Just because I’m officially done with schooling myself, doesn’t mean I’m done with my education. I have so much left to learn. And even though I majored in Psychology in college, (cliché alert!) what I learned most about, was myself. I need more of this in my life. I’m content with my life now, which is leaps and bounds better than being semi-depressed about an ending. But I don’t want to be just content with my life. That’s not good enough. I deserve… better. But what do I do about it?

About my awesome, yet somewhat incomplete PLAN:

I have a plan. If you know me, you know that I love having a plan. So here goes: For one year (maybe more, if it goes well), I will have what I will call Experi-months. This basically means that I will try something new for one month. I’ll dive in head-first and challenge myself in brand spankin’ new ways. If I like it, I’ll keep doing it. If not, then I can scratch it off the list as potential passions in my life. I have a few hopes of things that will happen during my Experi-months. I’m hoping this will add to my life: intellectual stimulation (some good ole learnin’), personal growth (some good ole challengin’), and a healthier lifestyle (some good ole well-bein’).

My plan hasn’t gotten much farther than that… shockingly, I know. The point of this whole blog thing is that I need suggestions and feedback. I’m a seeker of opinions (hello… I minored in Sociology). So bring it on people! 

Contentment is overrated.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmm. A very honest self-assessment. It could be that you are just in that transition stage between the security blankie of college and the threshold of the adult work world. I think that your current feeling of "contentment" is just you wrapping your head around the next stage and it's great that you have a plan and will continue educating yourself. Personally, I learned more the first 10yrs after college than any other decades in my life(so far).
    I predict that once you get settled into your new job and establish financial stability, have your own abode, etc you will settle into a state of self satisfaction bordering on euphoria.
    Coming home to your own place (my first place may have been 700 sq/ft) putting your feet up on your own coffee table and saying, "I think I'll [insert here what makes you happy]...." is a warm feeling.

    PS: I especially like the "Experi-Months" part of your plant. Keep us posted on that.

    Best Wishes,
    Uncle Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. As a fairly intellectual person myself, I believe that life isn't worth living unless you find the things worth living for. Bravo to you for going out there and trying.

    ReplyDelete