Thursday, November 11, 2010

the friendly kind of bacteria

“Bacteria keeps us from heaven and puts us there.” –Martin H. Fischer

I have begun the next part of my holistic regimen: Probiotics. My NP explained that probiotics are basically “good bacteria.” She specifically gave me HMF Intensive, which is a variety of probiotics. This is a one time prescription for me. After 15 days, I’m done with them.

My NP said that she recommended HMF because it will restore the good bacteria in my stomach that the antibiotic I took over the summer wiped out. As I mentioned in another post, I had a severe reaction to this antibiotic, complete with dry, cracking skin from head to toe. It was so terrible that it often hurt to move. Even the strongest of moisturizers could not cure my dehydrated epidermis and I eventually had to break down and go to the dermatologist to fix it. Even with their help, I still have not fully recovered from this… 6 months later.

I’ve heard that probiotics are also great for the immune system in general. So if you’ve got a cold or flu-like ailment, they are a good and gentle substitute for the everything-must-die-a-quick-death approach of antibiotics.

I’m unsure of whether your body can become immune to the benefits of probiotics in the same ways that it can with antibiotics. If anyone knows, holla at me. I’m curious, but could not find a reliable source confirming or denying this.

So the probiotics are to help my body recover in a myriad of ways. They have also been shown to reduce inflammation, much like the Slippery Elm, which will help my IBS too! It’s like a five for one deal. No negative side effects as of yet either. And I feel generally healthier. I can’t really explain into words specifically how I feel “healthier,” but I do.

My body is on the express train to recovery. I can feel it. And I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment