Wednesday, December 22, 2010

the best thing that has entered my life in a while

“Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them.” --Samuel Butler

I have to give mad props to my friend, Rachael. She introduced me to my new favorite vegetable. Not only had I never tasted this delicious substance, but I did not even know that it existed! Allow me to introduce the one, the only, the Spaghetti Squash.  

If you don’t know what this is, you should. If you do know what this is, shame on you for not revealing its majesty to me!

Spaghetti squash looks like a really fat yellow squash. One of my favorite things about it was that it came with directions. Clearly, people don’t know what the heck they are supposed to do with it. When have you ever bought a vegetable that came with directions? It made me chuckle.


The reason it’s called spaghetti squash is because the insides resemble noodles. And most people eat it with different varieties of pasta sauces. I was also bold and put some soy protein in my spaghetti sauce. I thought it was going to be gross, but it was delicious. It tasted like ground beef. Although, I do think they should come up with a more appealing name for it. I bought the aformentioned soy protein in the frozen food isle where all the other non-meat products hang out.

I loved this dish so intensely… most likely because it tasted like an Italian dish. Spaghetti squash and I are going to be great friends. This I know.

Here is how I made it:


*Spaghetti Squash*

Wash squash and poke 5-6 times. Microwave for 12 minutes and rotate every 3 minutes so all sides have faced up. Let cool. Cut in half. Scoop out middle goop, including seeds (like you would do for a cantaloupe). Then use a fork to scrape all inner sides of the squash. Little stringy things should peel off easily. Top with your sauce of choice and prepare for the magic you will soon experience!

2 comments:

  1. You are most welcome. You reminded me of how much I love the spag squash so I had to get some last time I went grocery shopping. It is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad that the best thing that has entered your life in a while is a food item. Samesies!

    ReplyDelete